End caps, placed at the end of gondola shelving fixtures, are prime real estate and should be used to promote new products and services, to sell higher-profit impulse items, or even to tempt the customer to move further down the aisle. Thus, here are some DOs and DON’Ts for using those end caps:
- DO keep your end caps fully stocked and neat with labels facing front. You know your end cap display is doing its job when you have to refill.
- DO change your end caps frequently. Even hot sellers get cold eventually.
- DO ensure that your end caps are safe. Make certain that customers can get at the products easily without hurting themselves or knocking over products.
- DO put price signage at eye level or make prices easily visible. If the customer can’t find the price, they may walk away.
- DO move your end caps.* Moving an end cap from one side of the store to the other can give the appearance of a new end cap. Or, moving end caps to another destination can test for the best placement for sales based on the way the majority of customers move through your store.
- DO place end cap displays of specialty items next to complementary items. This will help to make that add-on sale!
- DON’T do an entire end cap of big boxed merchandise. If one box is taken, the shelf will immediately look empty. Instead put an out-of-the-box sample on one shelf with the boxed product down that aisle.
- DON’T use your end cap as an extension of your aisle or fill it with too many labels and products. Limit to a one sku per shelf max. Note: If you have a private label but also sell other national brands, the end cap is a great place to promote your product first!
- DON’T use your end cap as product storage. Putting boxes of a product on either side of your end cap does make for easy refill, but you block the view of the shelves from the side. It’s best to keep the excess in the stock room.
Use these tips to help maximize the effectiveness of your end cap displays so you can increase your profits.
Just starting a store or need additional expert assistance? Call Handy Store Fixtures at 1-800-631-4280 we offer store planning services.
*All Handy-brand end caps are designed to move easily and fit onto any Handy-brand gondola retail shelving fixtures.